As someone who works in the fashion industry, I often get asked if I have a process when selecting that perfect outfit for fashion events. And, yes, I do! Here is my 6-step process for picking the perfect outfit.
- Get inspired. Just like you, I scroll through my Pinterest and Instagram accounts for inspiration. I take screenshots of my favourite outfits before heading to my local boutique or shopping centre. These photos teamed with my background knowledge on up coming trends are my starting point.
- Mind the budget. I always start at wallet-friendly stores such as Zara, Seed or a local favourite Rocksalt boutique. You don’t want to fall in love with something pricey first, and then work backwards to find something similar at a cheaper place. I made this mistake last Saturday when I went straight to Carla Zampatti and fell in love with this beautiful cream chiffon blouse. It was a little higher than I was hoping to spend, so I then wasted the next few hours wandering around Westfield searching for something equally amazing. But we all know that when you’ve tried on the best—it’s very hard to then work backwards! (And yes, as you can see I ended up purchasing the Carla Zampatti blouse 5 minutes before close of business.
- Know your body shape. This has personally taken me many years to really understand myself, but once you do it makes everything so much easier and quicker. Although I love certain trends and can appreciate who they are suitable for, I cannot always wear them myself.
- Forget the size tag. Yes, you might generally be a size 10 but these days sizes can really vary. If you need to try on a larger size please do, don’t squeeze into something which is ill-fitting, you will only give yourself the appearance of looking bigger than you are or portraying yourself in an unflattering way, and remember no one will even see the tag anyway. (This might sound very obvious too some but its something i hear all to often)
- Ensure you’re comfortable. If you’re awkwardly pulling and fiddling with your outfit in the changing room, it’s not right for you. You’re going to be worrying all night if that slight lump or bump is visible.
- Enjoy! Lastly have fun and rock your well thought out and styled outfit you feel 100% confident in.
Hope this makes your next shopping trip that little bit easier—Do you have any processes you live by when selecting that PERFECT outfit?
Top: Carla Zampatti,
Photographer : Lisa Frieling